banner/>

Our first Florida camping trip.

6:23 PM Posted In , , Edit This 0 Comments »

Our first camping trip in Florida....quite the adventure. Who knew it would be easier to walk into a hotel and get a room that getting a campsite? Do you have a reservation???

The first place we tried (Wekiwa Springs State Park) was a "first come, first served" kind of park, so I figured our chances were 50/50. No dice. The park ranger lady handed us a little pink slip with directions to the next closest park (Kelly Park)
"Reservations?"
"No"
"Sorry, we're all full up"
We asked if there was a park other than the one we had just come from and she handed us a pamphlet to Wekiwa River Falls Resort in Sorrento, FL. She pointed out that it was a "business" and not a State Park. I called ahead to make sure there was space and off we went. On the way, we got a little turned around and also a grasshopper jumped into the car and was bouncing around under my legs so I pulled over into a little strip mall looking place. We were in the middle of butt-pick nowhere and there were these two boys just sitting on a bench. Wierd.
I went over to ask if I was headed in the right direction. The older of the two told me to go down the road for "A really long time" untill I see a sign that says "You just missed us, turn around!" I caught this kid seriously checking out my butt as I walked away and as I was getting baack into the car he yells "I love you!"
Hmm. ok. I will admit I was a little flattered. It was sweet and made Voy smile.
Anyway, we get to the campground and it looks like a pretty cool place. The guy at the desk was a young surfer type, he told us just to go find a spot. ?? No number designation?
We drove down to what looked like the the area he described, parked the car and decided to find a spot on foot. All the sites were between the road and a little stream. The first big camp we passed had beercans all over the ground and some shirtless guy yells out: "You guys want some oysters?" We say no thank you. "Damn! Damn, you got a sistur? Damn, look at that"
We then realized we had entered the redneck twilight zone. Luckily we found a spot further down the road away from all the colorfull people. Seems that one rule of redneck ettiquette that I soon learned is that the men will only adderess the man in our couple. Once my man addresses back in a non threatining way they have full permission to visually molest me. WTF?

I have a theory: State Parks=no alcohol=>rednecks. Maybe? We'll have to try again :)

0 comments: